“Generation Gap: A chasm, amorphously situated in time and space, that separates those who have grown up absurd from those who will, with luck, grow up absurd.” - Bernard Rosenberg
“That which seems the height of absurdity in one generation often becomes the height of wisdom in another.” -Adlai Stevenson
Human beings evolved from one generation to another. When it comes to the contemporary generation, a new phenomenon emerges: lack of understanding between parents and children. A new term is hence coined: Generation Gap.
It can also be stated as:
Dissimilarity stuck between the opinions and views of young people and their parents.
Let us have a look at the conversation between a child and his/his parents.
Child: “It’s not like that, the time has changed. It’s not like your times.”
Parent(s): “You’re being adamant. We have seen the world. Accept what we say and no need to argue further.”
● The reason of generation gap is the dissimilar scale of priorities of both these generations. Our parents lived in a bit slower society and they adjusted well to that but now the pace has increased considerably but they have the same patterns that they used to have.
● The things which were considered luxuries at that time are now needs of today.
● Parents think they are right every time and kids think that they can change the world.
● Usually both parties have problems understanding and listening to each other.
● Many parents are not good listeners. Their excuse is that they don’t have enough time to listen to their child since they are quite busy making money. Even when they do have time they just listen to what they want to know: Their Child’s academic performance.
It’s well said in this context:
“Parents often talk about the younger generation as if they didn't have anything to do with it.”
When kids and parents are unable to agree with each other then that situation leads them to a state of disappointment.
● As a result of this situation kids avoid talking to their parents and parents start cribbing that their kids do not listen to them.
● Kids do not consider their parent’s opinion regarding any matter and parents leave their kids with their own good and bad deeds in certain situations thereby frustrating and aggravating both the children and parents eventually.
REMEDY (at times):
● Parents are in a more commanding position and they should try to get acquainted with new trends. If not that then they should at least try to understand their children’s needs thereby improving parent child relationship and giving them space without removing the respect factor.
● Understanding ones parents always helps.
● In a majority of situations, we, the teens are in a state where we are sure that we are right; but may be not so at times. In case our parents are not agreeing with us, we should not behave rudely. On the contrary, we should try to make them understand our point of view patiently and lovingly. And it is sure that, being our parents, they will definitely understand because “What parents want is, their child’s happiness and well being”.
But it does not seem possible to eliminate the gap. Every time there will be a teen who thinks he knows everything and can rule the world and the parent(s) who think they have experience and thus better judgement.When the present kids will become parents, a new generation gap will be shaped between them and their kids. Time changes, different generations have different values and ideals. Thus GENERATION GAP will be inevitable.
“There was no respect for youth when I was young, and now that I am old, there is no respect for age - I missed it coming and going.” -J.B. Priestly